Cake business customer service

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

We took a bit of time off since our last message and we were
getting many "out of office" replies so I figured many of you were
taking some vacation time with family and friends too. Can you
believe how fast time flies?

I've received many questions about customer service and how to
handle certain difficult situations. I've replied to those specific
questions directly, but I also wanted to share with you the overall
message I tried to impart with these inquiries.

"Listen you your customers."

Word of mouth marketing is the best way to achieve a thriving cake
business, right? In addition to providing a great product, you
have to provide great service. This is what will separate you from
the shop across town.

I know a cake lady who sells wedding cakes out of the back of the
family mini van -- its not glamorous, she's not featured on
theknot.com and I doubt Martha Stewart will ever come calling --
but everyone who learns about her, (word of mouth only)wants to
buy a cake from her. She makes a good living. I met one of her
customers and asked why she hired this particular decorator. She
said, "I trusted her." And the cake? "Yeah, the cake was great, but
most of all, I knew that there was nothing to worry about once I
hired her."

What this bride is saying is that selling a cake isn't just about
the taste or beauty of the confection, but the total service that
surrounds the product. If you can impart that kind of confidence --
the kind that says, "If you hire me, you'll have nothing to worry
about..." then I guarantee you have more business than you can
handle. Brides have so much to think about and if you can
alleviate one piece of that, you set yourself up as an expert.

Confidence in your cakes and understanding what the customer really
wants comes with practice so don't feel badly if you're nervous at
first. What I say to new cake decorators is that you ARE an expert.
You've trained and practiced. You sell a product with far more care
and quality than the local Wal-Mart, and you are invested in the
success of the event as much as anyone. After all, your reputation
is at stake. Don't be intimidated!!

My best wishes for success to all of you. If you have a question or
issue you'd like me to discuss here, please do not hesitate to
email me via the contact form on my site:
http://www.cake-business.com?awt_l=KqfTS&awt_m=1qlotN20Jfq.Gi

Paula


128 Parkwood Lane, Decatur, GA 30030, USA

0 comments: